Upcoming Events in the Sterling Morton Library
For a morning of community, connectivity, and spirited discussion, join Leafing Through the Pages, the Sterling Morton Library's book discussion group. Meeting on the second Thursday of every month from 10:00 a.m. until noon in the Library, this group explores works of fiction and non-fiction relating to natural history, ecology, and gardens. Participants need to obtain books and read each month's selection prior to the gathering to fully share in the discussion.
Not a member of the Arboretum? Join today. If you are an Arboretum member and would like more information about Leafing Through the Pages, contact Rita Hassert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-719-2430.
2019 Reading and Viewing List
- January 10, 2019 - Agrawal, Anurag. Monarchs and Milkweed : a migrating butterfly, a poisonous plant, and their remarkable story of coevolution, 2017.
- February 14, 2019 - Jones, Lucy. The Big Ones : how natural disasters have shaped us (and what we can do about them), 2018.
- March 14, 2019 - Shifting Sands : on the path to sustainability, 2016. (Viewing of this film begins at 10:00 a.m. with discussion to follow.)
- April 11, 2019 - Mapes, Lynda V. Witness Tree : seasons of change with a century-old oak, 2017.
- May 9, 2019 - Stone, Daniel. The Food Explorer : the true adventures of the globe-trotting botanist who transformed what America eats, 2018.
- June 13, 2019 - Johnson, Kirk W. The Feather Thief : beauty, obsession, and the natural history heist of the century, 2018.
- July 11, 2019 - Connors, Philip. Fire Season : field notes from a wilderness lookout, 2012.
- August 8, 2019 - Heinrich, Bernd. Life Everlasting : the animal way of death, 2012.
- September 12, 2019 - Spinney, Laura. Pale Rider: the Spanish Flu of 1918 and how it changed the world, 2017.
- October 10, 2019 - Preston, Douglas. The Lost City of the Monkey God : a true story, 2017.
- November 14, 2019 - McDowell, Marta. The World of Laura Ingalls Wilder : the frontier landscapes that inspired the Little House books, 2017.
- December 12, 2019 - Matthiessen, Peter. The Snow Leopard, 1978.