Beginning April 2, The Morton Arboretum will be temporarily closed through April 30 as an additional measure to slow the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Arboretum made its 1,700 acres available for essential outdoor activity as long as it was safe and prudent to do so. The proactive, full closure of the Arboretum’s site is to ensure social distancing in support of public health. The safety and wellbeing of Arboretum visitors and employees is top priority.
We look forward to reopening at a future date. Stay connected with the Arboretum during this time through online learning opportunities, and by following Arboretum Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram social media channels.
How You Can Support
As a nonprofit organization, The Morton Arboretum relies on admissions, annual memberships, philanthropic gifts, and support from community partners. You can support the Arboretum’s mission to plant and protect trees during this temporary closure by making an online gift today or by becoming a member.
All Arboretum public special events through April 30 are canceled, including Breakfast with the Bunny, Easter Brunch, The Champion of Trees 10K Run, and the Arbor Day Plant Sale. Event registrants will be notified directly of these cancellations.
All private events planned to be held at the Arboretum through April 30 are being rescheduled or canceled.
Classes and Educational Programs
All Arboretum classes and educational programs through April 30 are canceled or postponed. Select programs have been moved to an online learning format. See full list of impacted programs below. Registrants will be notified directly of these cancellations.
Field Trips and Group Tours
All field trips, scout visits, and other group tours through April 30 are canceled or postponed. An Arboretum representative will contact registrants directly to reschedule or to process refunds.
Arboretum Online Store
Online orders placed during this time will not be processed until The Arboretum Store on-site reopens.
A full or prorated refund will be issued to anyone registered for events or programs that have been impacted and are not continuing via an online learning format. An Arboretum representative will contact registrants directly to process refunds. Registrants can also choose to donate event or program fees to support the Arboretum in this time of reduced operations. If you have not been contacted by April 30, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. With many Arboretum staff working remotely due to health protection measures, we appreciate your patience.
Please check this webpage for ongoing updates.
Canceled Special Events
- Breakfast with the Bunny
- Easter Brunch
- The Champion of Trees 10K Run
- The Arbor Day Plant Sale
- The Arbor Day Plant Sale Donor Event
Canceled Classes and Programs:
- Forest Therapy Walks (WELL034 and WELL016-3)
- Edible Gardening Workshop (H980)
- Begin to Draw Nature (A000)
- Navigating With a Map (N108)
- Floral Design 101 (H101)
- Bird Walks (O010)
- Beginning Birdwatching (O001)
- Applying Herbicides in Natural (W430)
- MAPS Board Meeting
- Landscaping Dos and Don'ts (H012)
- Fireside Chats at the Arboretum (N192)
- Basic Plant ID (W010)
- Design a Spring Container (H159)
- Nature Debates (N034)
- Beginners Nature Art Workshops (A042)
- Backyard Bootcamp (H014)
- Grow Great Tomatoes (H017)
- Tool Use for Natural Areas (W008)
- Pruning Shrubs in Spring (H448)
- First Aid and CPR Training (W007)
- Edible Gardening Workshop: Transformation in the Garden: Growing Organic for Today and Tomorrow (H980)
- N-ACT Orientation (W000)
- Intro to Ecological Restoration (W100)
- In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams and Group (P357)
- Full Moon Troll Hunt Tram Tour (N071)
- Field Study: Birds of Spring (O602)
- Beginning Smartphone Photography (P284-A)
- Spring Wildflower Walk (N020-A, N922-B, )
- If These Trees Could Talk (N922-A)
- Drawing Flowering Trees (A419 )
- Spring Warbler Workshop (O212)
- Visiting Photographer: Exploring Macro with Mike Moats (P553)
- Spring Floral Arrangement (H031-A)
Early Childhood and Family Programs
- Youth Volunteer Welcome Event and Orientation
- Little Acorns
- Little Sprouts
- Arbor Reading Adventures
- Maple Tapping Hikes
- Children's Garden Volunteer Welcome
- Little Trees
- Garden Story Time
- Acorn Express Adventures
- Woodland Family Hike (FAM036-A)
- Arbor Day Family Tree Planting (FAM034)
- Children's Garden Parties
- Bi-Lingual Story Time
- Children's Garden New Volunteer Training
Group Tours and Programs
- School Field Trip Programs
- Youth Merit Badge Classes
- Guided Scout Programs
- Nature Artists' Guild (NAG) Spring Exhibit (rescheduled to July 25-26)
- Morton Arboretum Photographic Society (MAPS) Spring Exhibit (rescheduled to June 20-21)
Please note, the following programs have moved to an online learning format:
- Nature Writing (N095)
- Ecosystem Concepts (W040)
- Basic Nature Photography (P000)
- Beginning Home Composting (H702)
- ACCA Plant Conservation
- ACCA Intro to Ecological Restoration
- Arboretum Yoga (WELL005)
- Growing Unusual and Uncommon Herbs (H146)
- Sustainable Gardening Series: Organic Lawn and Garden Care (H165)
- Sustainable Gardening Series: Designing with Sustainable Materials (H164)
- Coping with Climate Change with Dr. Lauren Oakes (N802)