Schedule and location
Second Thursday of every month
Sterling Morton Library
Members enjoy a morning of community, connectivity, and spirited discussion. Leafing Through the Pages meets on the second Thursday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon in the Library, this group explores works of fiction and non-fiction relating to natural history, ecology and gardens. Participants are encouraged to read each month's selection prior to the gathering to fully share in the discussion.
2020 Reading and Viewing List
- January 9, 2020 – Goldfarb, Ben. Eager : the surprising, secret life of beavers and why they matter, 2018.
- February 13, 2020 – Jonnes, Jill. Urban Forests : a natural history of trees in the American cityscape, 2016.
- March 12, 2020 – Crosby, Cindy. Tallgrass Conversations : in search of the prairie spirit, 2019.
- April 9, 2020 – Blum, Andrew. The Weather Machine : a journey inside the forecast, 2019-canceled
- May 14, 2020 – More Than Honey, 2013. [Viewing of the documentary will begin at 10:00 a.m. with the discussion to follow.]
- June 11, 2020 – Powers, Richard. The Overstory, 2018.
- July 9, 2020 – Egan, Thomas. The Big Burn : Teddy Roosevelt and the fire that saved America, 2009. [LTTP redux – first discussed on February 11, 2011]
- August 13, 2020 – Dunn, Robert. Never Home Alone : from microbes to millipedes, camel crickets, and honeybees, the natural history of where we live, 2018.
- September 10, 2020 – Maclean, Norman. A River Runs Through It, and other stories, 1976.
- October 8, 2020 – Wohlleben, Peter. The Secret Wisdom of Nature: trees, animals, and the extraordinary balance of all living things, 2019.
- November 12, 2020 – George, Rose. Ninety Percent of Everything : inside shipping, the invisible industry that puts clothes on your back, gas in your car, and food on your plate, 2013.
- December 10, 2020 – Fraser, Caroline. Prairie Fires : the American dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder, 2017.
Arboretum members only