Schedule and Location
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019: Registration closes 11:59 p.m.,
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019: Online component begins
- Three Wednesdays, October 23, November 6, and November 20, 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.: In-person classes meet at Thornhill Education Center
Fees and Registration
Learn the nuts and bolts of excellent nature writing and improve your wordsmithing skills in this blended online and in-person course.
Whether you’re a blogger, a novelist, a poet, or simply enjoy keeping a personal journal, writing is a fun and meaningful way to deepen your connection to the natural world. In this class, you will:
- Learn from the masters by reading classic nature writing--non-fiction, fiction, poetry and more--and dig into it to see what makes it work.
- Learn to engage your audience through your choices as a writer and develop your personal voice.
- Hone your writing skills by practicing a variety of nature writing techniques.
- Cultivate the habit of writing regularly.
- Learn how to give and receive constructive critique.
The same qualities of good writing apply to everything from blogs to books. No matter your background or interest, join us, and become the writer you always dreamed you could be!
Cindy Crosby is the author, co-author, or contributor to more than 20 books; her most recent is "Tallgrass Conversations: In Search of the Prairie Spirit" (with Thomas Dean). She is also the author of "The Tallgrass Prairie: An Introduction" (Northwestern University Press). Cindy received her Masters in Natural Resources from University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in 2014, and is a trainer for the National Association of Interpretation, helping naturalists and cultural history interpreters become certified as guides. She is the steward for the Schulenberg Prairie at The Morton Arboretum, and coordinates dragonfly monitoring programs at the Arboretum, and Nachusa Grasslands in Franklin Grove, IL. Cindy blogs weekly at "Tuesdays in the Tallgrass at Wordpress", and speaks and teaches in the Midwest on natural history subjects. Read more at www.cindycrosby.com.
- Notes: Limit 12
- Requirements: Must have access to the internet and provide an email address at registration. Must know how to use a web browser and how to send and receive email.