Schedule and location
Available for 60 days
- Section E: Thursday, December 17, 2020, noon central time: Access self-paced materials online, Register Now
Available for 60 days
- Section A: Thursday, Jan 21, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
- Section B: Thursday, Feb 18, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
- Section C: Thursday, March 18, 2021, noon (Central time): Access self-paced materials online. Register now
Fees and registration
BY PHONE: 630-719-2468 or to be waitlisted (Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
Learn to call plants by their botanical names in this self-guided online class. In this course, you will:
learn the in’s and out’s of the scientific naming of plants,
understand why these naming conventions are useful and important,
get tips and tricks for pronunciation, and
learn botanical names for 40 common plant species that are native to Illinois.
How Self-paced Online Classes Work:
- To access the class, you will log into TreeLearning, the Arboretum’s online learning portal. Instructions for accessing TreeLearning will be sent to registrants on the day the course begins. You have access to the course for 60 days and can complete the materials anytime. A new section launches on the third Thursday each month.
- Complete the self-paced e-learning modules with reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding.
- The course will take approximately 90 minutes. The course does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- There will not be an instructor online with you.
This course was written for The Morton Arboretum by Chris Benda, "the Illinois Botanizer." Chris is a botanist and past president of the Illinois Native Plant Society. He teaches at Southern Illinois University and The Morton Arboretum. He is an accomplished photographer and author of several publications about natural areas in Illinois. Find him at www.illinoisbotanizer.com.
- This class is held entirely online.
- The online materials will take approximately 90 minutes to complete.
- Registration closes at 7:00 a.m. (Central time) on the day the online materials are available.
- Participants will have access to the online materials for 60 days after the course start date.
- Limit 50
- Participants must have access to the internet and know how to use a web browser (ex: Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer)
- Participants must know how to send and receive email.
- A unique email address for each participant is required at registration.