Schedule and Location
- Monday, November 11, 2019: Registration closes 11:59 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019: Online course begins
Fees and Registration
Learn to call plants by their botanical names. In this online class, botanist Chris Benda will:
- demystify the scientific naming of plants,
- explain why these naming conventions are useful and important,
- Share tips and tricks for pronunciation, and
- Teach botanical names for 40 common plant species that are native to Illinois.
The online materials include e-learning modules, reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding. The course will take approximately 90 minutes to complete.
Instructions for accessing the online course will be sent to registrants on March 15. You will have access to the course for 60 days and can complete the course materials at any time. Your instructor will not be online with you.
Chris Benda, aka Illinois Botanizer, is a botanist and past president of the Illinois Native Plant Society. He teaches at Southern Illinois University and The Morton Arboretum. He is an accomplished photographer and author of several publications about natural areas in Illinois. Find him at www.illinoisbotanizer.com.
- Notes: The course is held entirely online and is expected to take approximately four hours. Students will have access to the online materials for 60 days after the first day they access the course. Limit 50.
- Requirements: Must have access to the internet and provide an email address at registration. Must know how to use a web browser and how to send and receive email.