Schedule and location
- Monday, June 22, 2020: Registration closes at 11:59 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 23, 2020: Online course available at noon
Fees and Registration
Learn to call plants by their botanical names. In this online class, botanist Chris Benda will:
- demystify the scientific naming of plants,
- explain why these naming conventions are useful and important,
- Share tips and tricks for pronunciation, and
- Teach botanical names for 40 common plant species that are native to Illinois.
Online materials consist of e-learning modules with reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding. The course will take approximately 90 minutes to complete and can be completed at your own pace.
Instructions for accessing the online course will be sent to registrants on July 22. You will have access to the course for 60 days and can complete the course materials at any time. Your instructor will not be online with you.
Chris Benda, aka the Illinois Botanizer, is a botanist and past president of the Illinois Native Plant Society. He teaches at Southern Illinois University and The Morton Arboretum. He is an accomplished photographer and author of several publications about natural areas in Illinois. Find him at www.illinoisbotanizer.com.
- The course is held entirely online at treelearning.mortonarb.org and is expected to take approximately 1.5 hours.
- Participants will have access to the online materials for 60 days. Course can be completed at your own pace.
- Limit 100
- Requirements: Must have access to the internet and provide an email address at registration. Must know how to use a web browser and how to send and receive email.