Visiting the Library
The Library is located in the Administration and Research Building of The Morton Arboretum, southwest of the Visitor Center. Library patron parking is available in the parking lot adjacent to the Administration and Research Building.
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday
Using the Library
The Sterling Morton Library is open to all. Nonmembers must pay Gatehouse fees for the Arboretum in order to gain access. LEARN MORE
Arboretum members, staff, and volunteers can borrow books from the circulating collection. Nonmembers are invited to use resources in the library's reading room or request items from their local library via interlibrary loan.
- Books may be borrowed for 4 weeks.
- Up to six books may be checked out during a loan period.
- Books may be renewed for an additional four weeks.
- Special collections, periodicals, and reference books do not circulate.
- Online: Log into your account on SWAN, the Library's online catalog.
- By phone: Call 630-719-2429.
- In person: Bring your books to the circulation desk at the Library.
- Books should be returned to the circulation desk at the Library.
- If the Library is closed, books may be left at the Gatehouse, Administration Building, or Visitor Center Information Desk.
- Overdue fines: 10¢ a day.
- Photocopies: 20¢ each. Please allow 48 hours for high volume photocopying. Staff may not allow photocopying of fragile material.
Reference Collection, Journal Collection, and Current Nursery Catalogs
- Resources from the Reference, Journal, or Nursery Catalog Collections may be consulted in the library only. Photocopying is available.
- Works from the Special Collections may be viewed on site by appointment only. Please submit your request for an appointment here.
Tours and Educational Presentations
- Tours and presentations about the Sterling Morton Library's collections are available by appointment only. Please submit your request for an appointment here.