The Natural History of Christmas
Join Jim Ballowe, Professor Emeritus, Bradley University, and author, Christmas in Illinois, and Rita Hassert, Library Collections Manager, for an afternoon of folklore, stories and images of the season. From mistletoe to "The Holly and the Ivy" Christmas traditions are steeped in botanical folklore. How old is the Christmas tree and just what is a yule log? Here is your chance to learn the history of these and many other winter plants. Join us for a festive look at the plants that make the season bright!
Saturday, December 7, 1:30-3:00 p.m. LEARN MORE
The History of Botanical Art and Illustration
Taught by Arlene Widrevitz, Freelance Artist and Art Collection Staff. Spend winter afternoons learning about the history and uses of botanical and scientific art from early herbals to today's contemporary artists. Enjoy a hot cup of tea and goodies each week as Arlene introduces the week's focus.
4 Saturdays, January 4 -25, 1:00-4:00 p.m. learn more
Arbor Reading Adventures
Leafing Through the Pages - Members' Book Club
2013 Reading and Viewing List
- January 10 – Watts, May T. Reading the Landscape, 1957.
- February 14 – Bailey, Elisabeth Tova. The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating, 2010.
- March 14 – Appalachian Trail, 2010. (Film)
- April 11 – Williams, Michael and Richard Cahan. The Lost Panoramas : when Chicago changed its river and the land beyond, 2011.
- May 9 – Mather, Robin. The Feast Nearby : how I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally, 2011.
- June 13 - Muir, John. Steep Trails, 1918.
- July 11 - Maloney, Cathy Jean. World's Fair Gardens : shaping American landscapes, 2012.
- August 8 – Carson, Rachel. The Sense of Wonder, 1965.
- September 12 – Gould, Carol Grant. The Remarkable Life of William Beebe : explorer and naturalist, 2004.
- October 10 – Freinkel, Susan. Plastic : a toxic love story, 2011.
- November 14 – Olson, Sigurd. The Singing Wilderness, 1956.
- December 12 – Maitland, Sara. From the Forest : a search for the hidden roots of our fairy tales, 2012.