Upcoming Events in the Sterling Morton Library:
Leafing Through the Pages - Members' Book Club
For a morning of community, connectivity and spirited discussion, join Leafing Through the Pages, the Sterling Morton Library's book discussion group. Meeting on the second Thursday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon in the Library, this group explores works of fiction and non-fiction relating to natural history, ecology, and gardens. Participants need to obtain books and read each month's selection prior to the gathering to fully share in the discussion.
Not a member of the Arboretum? Join today. If you are an Arboretum member and would like more information about Leafing Through the Pages, contact Rita Hassert at email@example.com or 630-719-2430.
2015 Reading and Viewing List
- January 8, 2015 – Dennis, Jerry. The Living Great Lakes: searching for the heart of the inland sea, 2003. [LTTP redux – previously discussed on January 13, 2005]
- February 12, 2015 - Kolbert, Elizabeth. The Sixth Extinction: an unnatural history, 2014.
- March 12, 2015 - Green Fire : Aldo Leopold and a land ethic for our time, 2010. – Film
- April 9, 2015 - Bachrach, Julia S. The City in a Garden: a history of Chicago’s parks, 2012.
- May 14, 2015 - McDowell, Marta. Beatrix Potter’s Gardening Life : the plants and places that inspired the classic children’s tales, 2013.
- June 11, 2015 - Peattie, Donald Culross. A Natural History of Trees of Eastern and Central North America, 1950.
- July 9, 2015 - Rutkow, Eric. American Canopy: trees, forests, and the making of a nation, 2012.
- August 13, 2015 - Strayed, Cheryl. Wild: from lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail, 2013.
- September 10, 2015 - Eisler, Benita. The Red Man’s Bones: George Catlin, artist and showman, 2013.
- October 8, 2015 - Bone, Eugenia. Mycophilia: revelations from the weird world of mushrooms, 2011.
- November 12, 2015 - Croke, Vicki Constantine. Elephant Company: the inspiring story of an unlikely hero and the animals who helped him save lives in World War II, 2014.
- December 10, 2015 – Herriot, James. All Creatures Great and Small, 1972.