Upcoming Classes in the Sterling Morton Library
Join us in the Sterling Morton Library for this popular and interactive story time! We’ll read stories, make a craft and then head out on the grounds for an adventure walk. Themes change weekly.
Notes: Weather permitting.
Recommended ages: Best for ages 2 - 6 with adult.
Schedule and location:
Wednesdays and Fridays, November 2017 through March 2018
(Except November 24)
11:00 to 11:45 a.m.
Fees and admission:
Fee is per child. Fee does not include admission to the Arboretum.
$4.00 - member child
$5.00 - nonmember child
Upcoming Events in the Sterling Morton Library
For a morning of community, connectivity and spirited discussion, join Leafing Through the Pages, the Sterling Morton Library's book discussion group. Meeting on the second Thursday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon in the Library, this group explores works of fiction and non-fiction relating to natural history, ecology, and gardens. Participants need to obtain books and read each month's selection prior to the gathering to fully share in the discussion.
Not a member of the Arboretum? Join today. If you are an Arboretum member and would like more information about Leafing Through the Pages, contact Rita Hassert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-719-2430.
2018 Reading and Viewing List
- January 11, 2018 – Egan, Dan. The Death and Life of the Great Lakes, 2017.
- February 8, 2018 – Crosby, Cindy. The Tallgrass Prairie : an introduction, 2017.
- March 8, 2018 – Duncan, Dayton and Ken Burns. The National Parks: America's best idea, 2009.
- April 12, 2018 – Before the Flood, 2017. (Viewing of this documentary will begin at 10:00 a.m. with the discussion to follow.)
- May 10, 2018 – Wohlleben, Peter. The Hidden Life of Trees : what they feel, how they communicate, discoveries from the secret world, 2016.
- June 14, 2018 – Pearson, Arthur. Force of Nature : George Fell, founder of the Natural Areas Movement, 2017.
- July 12, 2018 – Adams, Mark. Turn Right at Machu Picchu : rediscovering the lost city one step at a time, 2011.
- August 9, 2018 – Jans, Nick. A Wolf Called Romeo, 2014.
- September 13, 2018 – Tyson, Neil deGrasse. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, 2017.
- October 11, 2018 – Croke, Vicki. The Lady and the Panda : the true adventures of the first American explorer to bring back China's most exotic animal, 2005.
- November 8, 2018 – Owen, David. Where the Water Goes : life and death along the Colorado River, 2017.
- December 13, 2018 – Poetry – At this gathering, each participant is invited to bring a nature-related poem/s to share and discuss.