Upcoming Classes in the Sterling Morton Library
Join us in the Sterling Morton Library for this popular and interactive story time! We’ll read stories, make a craft and then head out on the grounds for an adventure walk. Themes change weekly.
Notes: Weather permitting.
Recommended ages: Best for ages 2-6 with adult
Course number: Y402
Schedule and location:
Wednesdays OR Fridays, November through March (except November 25, December 23, 2016, and January 18, 2017), 11:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Sterling Morton Library
Fees and admission:
Fee is per child. Nonmembers: Fees do not include admission to the Arboretum.
Upcoming Events in the Sterling Morton Library
2016 Reading and Viewing List
- January 14, 2016 – Millard, Candice. The River of Doubt : Theodore Roosevelt's darkest journey, 2005. [LTTP redux – previously discussed on September 13, 2007]
- February 11, 2016 - Chasing Ice, 2012. (Documentary) Viewing will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- March 10, 2016 – Aalto, Kathryn. The Natural World of Winnie-the-Pooh: a walk through the forest that inspired the Hundred Acre Wood, 2015.
- April 14, 2016 - Hatch, Peter J. A Rich Spot of Earth : Thomas Jefferson's revolutionary garden at Monticello, 2012.
- May 12, 2016 - Macdonald, Helen. H is for Hawk, 2014.
- June 9, 2016 - Montgomery, Ben. Grandma Gatewood's Walk : the inspiring story of the woman who saved the Appalachian Trail, 2014.
- July 14, 2016 - Abbey, Edward. Desert Solitaire : a season in the wilderness, 1968.
- August 11, 2016 - Keating, Ann Durkin. Rising Up from Indian Country : the battle of Fort Dearborn and the birth of Chicago, 2012.
- September 8, 2016 - Rebanks, James. The Shepherd's Life : modern dispatches from an ancient landscape, 2015.
- October 13, 2016 - Muir, John. John Muir : Nature Writings: The Story of My Boyhood and Youth; My First Summer in the Sierra; The Mountains of California; Stickeen; Essays (Library of America), 1997.
- November 10, 2016 - Stegner, Wallace. Angle of Repose, 1971.
- December 8, 2016 – Herriot, James. All Things Bright and Beautiful, 1974.
2017 Reading and Viewing List
- January 12, 2017 - Jahren, Hope. Lab Girl, 2016.
- February 9, 2017 - Waal, Frans de. Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? 2016.
- March 9, 2017 - Buck, Rinker. The Oregon Trail : a new American journey, 2015.
- April 13, 2017 - Gooley, Tristan. The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs : use outdoor clues to find your way, predict the weather, locate water, track animals--and other forgotten skills, 2014.
- May 11, 2017 - Nordhaus, Hannah. The Beekeeper’s Lament : how one man and half a billion honey bees help feed America, 2011.
- June 8, 2017 - Anthony, Lawrence. The Elephant Whisperer : my life with the herd in the African wild, 2009.
- July 13, 2017 - Ackerman, Jennifer. The Genius of Birds, 2016.
- August 10, 2017 - Jens Jensen : The Living Green, 2013.
- September 14, 2017 - McDowell, Marta. All the Presidents’ Gardens : Madison's cabbages to Kennedy's roses, how the White House grounds have grown with America, 2016.
- October 12, 2017 - Flores, Dan L. Coyote America : a natural and supernatural history, 2016.
- November 9, 2017 - Wulf, Andrea. The Invention of Nature : Alexander von Humboldt's new world, 2015.
- December 14, 2017 - Theroux, Paul. Deep South : four seasons on back roads, 2015.