The Scouting Report of The Morton Arboretum for June 20, 2014
Articles and stories
- Despite conventional wisdom among gardeners, foresters and botanists that woody plants all “leaf out” at about the same time each spring, a new study co-authored by Morton Arboretum researcher Robert Fahey found a surprisingly wide span of as much as three months in leaf-out times. Significantly, observations the past two springs of 1,597 woody plants in eight botanical gardens in the U.S., Canada, Germany and China suggest that species differences in leaf-out times could impact the length of the growing season and the activities of birds, insect and other animals and therefore must be factored into climate-change model predictions.
- The Scouting Report of The Morton Arboretum for June 13, 2014.
- Lisle, Ill. (June 11, 2014) – From November 21, 2014-January 3, 2015, the grounds of The Morton Arboretum will again glow with dazzling LED lights and trees that respond to touch and sound, as Illumination: Tree Lights at The Morton Arboretum makes its return. More than 88,000 visitors took part in Illumination’s inaugural season, to witness a wintertime experience far beyond traditional twinkling lights – a mile-long walk through a virtual kaleidoscope of color and light among the Arboretum’s towering trees.
- The Scouting Report of The Morton Arboretum for June 6, 2014.
- The Scouting report of The Morton Arboretum for May 30, 2014.