Articles and stories
- LISLE, Ill. (May 12, 2014)— The Morton Arboretum has released a new handbook, “Retrofitting Large Landscapes for Sustainability,” offering industry professionals guidelines and ideas to help incorporate sustainable practices into landscape design. Developed for property managers, homeowner associations, school and park district boards and other stewards of large properties, the free manual highlights cost-effective ways to make landscapes easier to maintain, while reducing landscapes’ adverse impacts on the environment. In addition, the handbook addresses alternatives to chemical treatments as well as the importance of selecting plants to suit the given climate and conditions.
- LISLE, Ill. (May 7, 2014) —National Public Gardens Day on Friday, May 9 is a chance to celebrate the country’s public gardens, recognizing the critical role gardens and arboreta play in championing environmental stewardship as well as the importance of conservation and education. A living museum of trees from around the world, The Morton Arboretum encourages the public to take part in this special day by visiting its 1,700-acre grounds and enjoying the springtime sights as well as a host of events.
- LISLE, Ill. (May 7, 2014) —The Morton Arboretum is the place to be during summer’s sunny days and balmy nights. Join us for a “Tree-Mendous Summer,” with the new Travel America Summer Festival and the new Destination Asia Summer Festival, weekend-long celebrations with themed food, live music, performances, and family activities.
- LISLE, Ill. (April 17, 2014) — Each year, The Morton Arboretum’s grounds erupt with fragrant blooming flowers and woody plants. Ed Hedborn, Manager of Plant Records, monitors and reports on the Arboretum’s blooms each week during the spring season. For the latest bloom updates from the Arboretum, call the Bloom 'n Color Hotline at 630-719-7955.
- LISLE, Ill. (MARCH 28, 2014)—The Morton Arboretum has released its first-ever mobile app, featuring an easy-to-navigate menu of options that includes a GPS-coordinated map pinpointing the Arboretum’s most popular points of interest. Also at visitors’ fingertips is information about the Arboretum’s events, exhibits and classes for all ages, as well as self-guided tours.
LISLE, Ill. (March 28, 2014) – This April 25, The Morton Arboretum is celebrating Arbor Day with a slate full of fun events, including the first-ever chance to visit for free by dressing up like your favorite tree. Children under 12 participating in the promotion will then have the chance to win a prize in our “Tree-Riffic Costume Contest,” held outside of our Children’s Garden.