This holiday season, The Morton Arboretum’s trees will be transformed into an interactive kaleidoscope of color and light during its first-ever winter lights event, Illumination: Tree Lights at The Morton Arboretum. From November 22, 2013 to January 4, 2014, Illumination offers a holiday experience far beyond traditional twinkling lights, engaging the senses with dazzling projections, trees that respond to touch and sound, and vivid, electric colors throughout.
Articles and stories
- This fall, The Morton Arboretum’s 1,700 acres of trees will again reveal stunning colors, expected to draw thousands of leaf-peepers from around the region. The Arboretum’s collection includes trees from 40 different countries, for intense fall color that visitors can’t see anywhere else in the area. Visitors this October can also enjoy tasty fall food and see the Scarecrow Trail, a series of scarecrows created by local Boy and Girl Scouts.
- Be swept away by classical chamber music this winter, performed in The Morton Arboretum’s historic Thornhill Education Center. Enjoy intimate, Sunday afternoon concerts while overlooking a scenic vista, followed by a reception where guests can meet with each other and the musicians.
- For the first time, man’s best friend is taking over The Morton Arboretum. On Saturday, September 14, the Arboretum’s Tails on the Trails event invites dog owners to hike and explore the Arboretum’s grounds with their canine companions.
- The Morton Arboretum will welcome entomologist May Berenbaum to the Arboretum for a honey-themed talk on Saturday, September 7, when she will share the latest research on honeybees and colony collapse disorder, the mysterious dieoff of the honeybee population over the last seven years. Berenbaum is a member of the faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and an internationally noted expert on the insect world.
- The millennium-old art of bonsai is coming to The Morton Arboretum this September. Discover these imaginative miniatures for yourself as members of the Prairie State Bonsai Society show off their masterpieces and demonstrate the award-winning techniques.