Despite conventional wisdom among gardeners, foresters and botanists that woody plants all “leaf out” at about the same time each spring, a new study co-authored by Morton Arboretum researcher Robert Fahey found a surprisingly wide span of as much as three months in leaf-out times. Significantly, observations the past two springs of 1,597 woody plants in eight botanical gardens in the U.S., Canada, Germany and China suggest that species differences in leaf-out times could impact the length of the growing season and the activities of birds, insect and other animals and therefore must be factored into climate-change model predictions.
Articles and stories
- Lisle, Ill. (June 11, 2014) – From November 21, 2014-January 3, 2015, the grounds of The Morton Arboretum will again glow with dazzling LED lights and trees that respond to touch and sound, as Illumination: Tree Lights at The Morton Arboretum makes its return. More than 88,000 visitors took part in Illumination’s inaugural season, to witness a wintertime experience far beyond traditional twinkling lights – a mile-long walk through a virtual kaleidoscope of color and light among the Arboretum’s towering trees.
- LISLE, Ill. (May 28, 2014) — Celebrate the arrival of summer with a nostalgic drive-in movie at The Morton Arboretum. Relax in your car, under the stars to watch favorite movies on a larger-than-life screen set against the Arboretum’s trees. Families and kids of all ages will enjoy “The Lorax” Friday, June 6. Based on the beloved Dr. Seuss book, this animated film features the voices of Danny DeVito, Zac Efron and Betty White and brings into focus the importance of conservation and protecting the environment. Saturday, June 7 will bring the cult classic “The Goonies.” Approaching its 30th anniversary, the comedic adventure story of young treasure seekers stars Sean Astin, Josh Brolin and Corey Feldman.
- LISLE, Ill. (May 22, 2014) — Get ready for a Tree-mendous Summer at The Morton Arboretum! The Morton Arboretum is celebrating summer with a slate of new events and returning favorites for all ages and interests. From reliving the nostalgia of a drive-in movie to a series of new festivals highlighting cultures around the world, the Arboretum is the place to be this summer.
- LISLE, Ill. (May 15, 2014) – On Saturday, May 10, more than 300 guests supported the tree-focused work of The Morton Arboretum during the annual fundraising Dinner Party that this year featured the theme of Art & Science. The event raised $230,000 in support of the Arboretum’s programs and its mission to save and plant trees for a greener, healthier, and more beautiful world.
- LISLE, Ill. (May 12, 2014)— The Morton Arboretum has released a new handbook, “Retrofitting Large Landscapes for Sustainability,” offering industry professionals guidelines and ideas to help incorporate sustainable practices into landscape design. Developed for property managers, homeowner associations, school and park district boards and other stewards of large properties, the free manual highlights cost-effective ways to make landscapes easier to maintain, while reducing landscapes’ adverse impacts on the environment. In addition, the handbook addresses alternatives to chemical treatments as well as the importance of selecting plants to suit the given climate and conditions.