The show-stopping bloom on new hydrangea shrubs in the Members’ Exclusive Plant Sale Catalog can’t be shut down even by harsh Chicago winters.
Articles and stories
- It takes a special kind of dedication to become a Woodland Steward.
- A library has been an important feature of the Arboretum since its beginning.
- The Community Trees Program supports towns, parks, school districts, community groups, and individuals in caring for the urban forest.
- Kunso Kim, head of collections and curator, suggests you consider these different approaches.Selective pruning: To shape the shrub or control its size somewhat, go branch by branch, choosing the branches you want to keep and removing those that are too long, superfluous or causing a tangle. Using sharp, clean pruners, prune just above the place where one stem branches off from another; don’t cut in the middle of a branch between joints, which will cause bristly, unsightly growth.
- Late winter is an excellent time to prune shrubs and trees, while they are safely dormant.