Hunting for gnomes in the Children’s Garden is a fun way to explore in the winter time. Finding all 15 will take families throughout the garden, but finding just a few is also fun. Gnomes, descended from woodland spirits in Northern European folklore, have become familiar figures in gardens all over the world.
Articles and stories
Visit and explore
- Don’t hibernate this winter. Get your family outdoors and discover this season’s exciting elements. From snowshoeing to scavenger hunts for kids, The Morton Arboretum presents a great selection of outdoor activities and classes to help you chill out and head outdoors.Here’s a look at some of our winter offerings:
- Adults can explore the woodlands and see how animals adapt to cold, learn the biology of birds and improve your plant identification skills through our natural history and ornithology classes. Want to explore your creativity?
Gift giving can be tough. To take the work out of it, we asked Jacqueline Fucilla, manager of The Arboretum Store, to give us her Top 10 Gift Guide. Bonus: If you purchase your gift at one of our shopping events, our elves will even wrap it for you.
- Regular visitors enjoy the culinary creativity of the Ginkgo Restaurant, with its new and delicious menus for each season.
- The Ginkgo Restaurant’s new composting initiative results in a significant reduction of garbage output.
- Arboretum Facebook fans write about their favorite spots surrounded by 1,700 acres of trees.