March through October
9:30 a.m - 5:00 p.m. daily
Tuesdays and Thursdays, open until 6:00 p.m.
Members only: Fridays and Saturdays, 9:00 - 9:30 a.m.
November through February
Daily, 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed during severe weather.
Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult while visiting the Children's Garden.
The Children's Garden is free with your admission to The Morton Arboretum.
While visiting our garden, please:
- Stay with your children at all times.
- Climb on play structures only, not on living trees.
- Do not harm plants or animals.
- Deposit all trash in the bins provided.
- The Morton Arboretum is a tobacco-free environment. Smoking and tobacco use (including smokeless cigarettes), is not allowed indoors or outdoors within the Arboretum.
- Leave bathing suits, pets, bicycles, alcohol, grills, and active sports at home.
Kid and Family Programs
Drop-in nature activities at the Children's Garden are just the beginning of The Morton Arboretum's educational programs to get the entire family hooked on science, nature, and trees. LEARN MORE
The tadpoles we get each spring in the Children's Garden are American Toads. This is a natural occurrence and their arrival depends on the temperature of the water. The tadpoles hatched in mid-May and are expected to swim around Wonder Pond for the next 30 to 50 days.
Picnicking and Facilities
The Children's Garden picnic area is open to all visitors unless reserved for a special program or event. Carryout lunches are available at the Ginkgo Café in the Visitor Center. You may also bring in outside food. Alcohol is prohibited in the Children's Garden
Boxed water and beverages are available for purchase or you may bring your own. Especially on hot days, we advise drinking plenty of water.
Restrooms are located in Central Plaza, near the picnic area.
Volunteers and staff are stationed throughout the garden to assist you and provide first aid if necessary.
Children’s Garden Sponsor