Undergraduate Research Fellows Blog

A sliver of a tree core with dark bands separating the tree rings

I’ve spent the a majority of my time since my last blog peering down a microscope at tree rings, so I figured now was as good a time as any to share what I’ve learned.

A collage of five different tubes containing various liquids.
Hi again! In this blog, I talk about the trials and tribulations I have faced during the data collection process.
Learn how to identify a few species of oaks!
Pink "X"s spray painted on the trunk of a Pin oak
These past few week I have been working on setting the stage for my experiment. My project has changed a bit since my first post, and I am now studying the impact of an injury on the rate of sap flow in Pin oaks. Choosing the trees and installing the sap flow meters was a process that was completely new to me.
Four male arborists and young female intern gather for group picture by the golf carts at the end of a busy day collecting samples.
Big thanks to the arborist crew for taking a day to help me with my summer project!
A golden yellow slug contrasted against dark wet wood

These past few weeks, dear readers, have been an exercise in persistence. I’ve spent the better part of my time recently doing intensely repetitive work.

a Pin oak with four different sap flow meters attached along the trunk

In the last few weeks my project has been changing, and now I get to work with an exciting piece of technology, sap flow meters!


This is the SFM1 Sap Flow Meter.

Soil samples in glass beakers
Even though field work is a lot of fun, there's also a lot of cool tools, technologies, and techniques for lab work and analyses!
Boxes of collection tubes alongside a beaker filled with more tubes and a row of bottles.
Hi again! I'm currently in the process of collecting samples and running experiments, but I took a break to talk about plant pathology and the role it plays in my project.
Undergraduate researcher Sam Panock is being filmed by a camera man while completing lab work,
Summer is half over! This past week was my last week in the field collecting soil and root samples for all of my tree species. Luckily the last fun moments in the field were caught on camera.