Blog Author : Quinn Taylor

  • Four undergraduate research fellows standing next to posters.
    It’s hard to believe that the summer is almost over and the Undergraduate Research Fellowship is coming to a close. I'll use this final blog post to tell you about the results of the science I did here this summer and how this fellowship impacted me as a scientist and a person.
  • soil samples with a pH probe
    Hello there blog readers! I have been doing a lot of lab work in the past few weeks. I decided to use this blog post to tell you about the BIG and the small of my project.
  • Green forest with lots of trees and other plants.
    “The most important thing I know about science is that experiments are not about getting the world to do what you want it to do.”
  • Research fellow pouring chemicals into beakers, wearing safety goggles.
    During my third week at the arboretum I got to work on a few different projects. For your entertainment, I have summarized these projects into short poems.
  • Research fellow in the woods doing field work
    The idea of different species interacting with each other and living together is a major part of ecology and very commonly studied by ecologists. It is also one of my favorite parts about nature. These interactions are called symbiotic relationships, and one particular type of symbiotic relationship is a mutualism. Mutualisms occur when different species interact and they both benefit from the interaction. There are four different ways that I have seen mutualisms this week.
  • Picture of woods with tall brown trees and green leaves on the trees and small green plants on the ground
    My first week at the arboretum has been an exciting one! The first step in my research project is to set up plots in the woods and record the trees present in each plot.