MACGYVERS: MORTON ARBORETUM CHILDREN'S GARDEN YOUTH VOLUNTEERS!
Who can be a Macgyver?
Youth entering 7th, 8th, or 9th grade in the fall of 2013, who enjoy being outdoors, working with children, and/or gardening.
Too old to be a Macgyver? Check out our Counselor in Training Program!
Where do Macgyvers volunteer?
Primarily within the four-acre Children's Garden.
What do Macgyvers do?
Naturalist Macgyvers—interact with Children's Garden guests and facilitate hands-on activities.
Gardening Macgyvers—Macgyvers—assist in planting garden beds and containers, harvest edible products, and care for landscaped areas of the Children's Garden.
Why become a Macgyver?
- To have a great time working with kids and Arboretum Staff in a unique and exciting outdoor setting.
- To help The Morton Arboretum, a world-class institution, be the very best it can be by providing quality, outdoor experiences for guests.
- To make friends, work with Arboretum Staff, learn what goes on behind-the-scenes of the Arboretum, and have a one-of-a-kind experience.
- To develop skills in public speaking, early childhood education, and environmental interpretation (Naturalists.)
- To develop skills in gardening including soil management, garden design, plant selection, harvesting, pest control, and ornamental gardening (Gardeners).
How do I become a Macgyver?
You and your adult guardian must attend a mandatory orientation in April. We'll explain both branches of the Macgyver program, tour the Children's Garden and answer your questions. If you are interested in becoming a youth volunteer, you will choose a branch that evening, fill out an application and sign up for an interview for the following week. If you are chosen as a participant in the program, please note that there are mandatory training dates in May.
How do I sign up for Macgyver Orientation?
- It's easy! Simply choose a date to attend orientation. Orientation will be held on April 3 OR 11, 2013 from 6:30– 8:00 p.m. in the Sycamore Room at The Morton Arboretum (Located next to the Visitor Center).
- Then send the following information to
, by phone 630-719-4887, or by mail Attn: Children's Garden, The Morton Arboretum, 4100 Illinois Route 53, Lisle, Il 60532.
- Date Attending Orientation
- Name of potential volunteer
- Grade they will enter in the Fall of 2013
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Finally don't forget to bring your guardian with you to our orientation night. Parents are asked to remain with their child the entire evening.
What days and times can I volunteer?
Macgyvers volunteer in the Children's Garden from June-October. Both Naturalists and Gardeners will have specific volunteer schedules that will be outlined at the Orientation.
Who can I contact about the program?
Support for the Macgyver Program is provided by: