Morton Family Cemetery
The Morton Cemetery is southeast of the Thornhill Education Center and can be accessed off West Side Trail Loop 1. This one-acre piece of land was approved and set aside as a family burial plot by Joy Morton in 1925. It was sited in view of Thornhill, the Morton Estate, and set apart from the grounds by an elaborate iron fence. The original design was formal at the center and circled by a trail through a naturalistic arrangement of oaks, yews, and hawthorns.
In 2004, the land was formally turned over to the Arboretum. Thanks to a generous donation, many improvements have been made. The original iron fence was refurbished and reinstalled around the formal section of the cemetery, an interpretive panel was added to provide visitors with information about the Arboretum's founder, a lead fountain was added on the north, and fragrant, new plantings were added in the spring of 2006. Many of the original yews, and the three white oaks that framed the space in 1925, still remain.
Joy Morton was the first to be interred in the family plot at the base of a white oak following his death in 1934. Others memorialized here are Caroline Morton (1921), Millicent Morton (1929), Margaret Morton (1940), Mark Morton (1951), Sterling Morton (1961), Sophia Preston Morton (1969), Suzette Morton Davidson (1996), and Eugene Davidson (2002).