On most days, when there is four inches or more of snow on the ground at The Morton Arboretum, trails are available to cross-country ski or snowshoe through a winter wonderland. Bring your own skis and snowshoes or rent on site. Kids' and adults' cross-country skis and snowshoes are available for rent at the Visitor Center.
There are wonderful skiing destinations across the Arboretum grounds:
- Cross-country ski trail map
- Discover new territory on the Arboretum's East Side. Explore 3.5 miles of groomed cross-country ski trails. This trail loops from the Conifer Collection out to Parking Lot 8 and back to the Elm Family Collection.
- Blaze your own path across our 1,700 acres or trek along the Arboretum's 16 miles of hiking trails.
Popular Cross-Country Skiing & Snowshoeing Spots:
- The Conifer Collection (good for kids and families)
- Thornhill Education Center Lawn
- Main Trail Loop 4 on the East Side
- Spruce Plot near Parking Lot 12
- Daffodil Glade at Parking Lot 22
- Groomed trails on the East Side (only for skiing)
Please only wear snowshoes and cross-country skis on snow-covered trails and areas. No skis or snowshoes allowed on the roads. Benches are available in various locations. Restrooms and warming stations are located at the Visitor Center, Thornhill Education Center, and Thornhill Shelter (P-21).
For more information, visit the Information Desk at the Visitor Center or call ahead for rental availability 630-968-0074.
Weekdays, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Weekends, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
On most days, rentals will be available and trails groomed when four inches or more of snow have accumulated on the Arboretum grounds. Check our Facebook page or call before your visit to confirm rental availability.
- $10 member ($12 nonmember) per pair for two hour rental
- $14 member ($16 nonmember) per pair for all day rental
Children (10 years and younger)
- $8 member ($10 nonmember) per pair for two hour rental
- $12 member ($14 nonmember) per pair for all day rental
CROSS-COUNTRY SKI RENTALS
(Includes skis, boots & poles)
- $13 member ($15 for nonmember) per pair for two hour rental
- $18 member ($20 nonmember) per pair for all day rental
Rental fee does not include admission fee.
Quantities are limited and available on a first-come first-served basis.