Be prepared for your next wilderness outing; learn to find your way using a map and compass. In this class, you will
- learn how to read a topo map
- understand the parts of a compass and their purpose
- set your declination to keep you on track
- use the compass to orient your map
- take bearings from a map to find your way to a destination
- use the landscape to find out where you are on the map
- learn the basics of GPS
- Learn what to look for when purchasing a compass, map, or GPS device
After some time in the classroom learning the basics, head out onto the grounds to practice.
Instructor: Dave Dolak, geologist
Notes: Held indoors and outdoors; please dress for winter weather. Limit 18
Supplies: Supplies will be provided
Schedule and Location
Saturday, March 10, 2018, noon to 4:00 p.m.
Thornhill Education Center
Fees and Admission
Nonmembers: Fees include admission to the Arboretum.
ONLINE: REGISTER NOW
CALL: 630-719-2468 (or to be waitlisted)
IN PERSON: Stop by the Visitor Center during open hours.