Learn to identify the common trees you see in local preserves or in your neighborhood. Use characteristics such as leaves, bark, branches, flowers, and fruit to ID a tree. Learn to use keys and field guides. Walk the grounds of the Arboretum with an expert, who will point out key identifiers of common trees. See and understand your natural surroundings in a new way.
Instructor: Kelly Burns or Heather Jurinek, education program guides
Notes: Held indoors and outdoors. Limit 18
Continuing education: 2.5 CPDHs for educators are available.
Schedule and Location
Friday, June 8, 2018, 9:00 to 11:30 a.m., or Thursday, June 21, 2018, 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- Section A: Friday, June 8, 9:00 to 11:30 a.m., with Kelly Burns, Administration Building
- Section B: Thursday, June 21, 6:30 to 9:00 p.m., with Kelly Burns, Thornhill Education Center
Saturday, July 14, 2018, 8:30 to 11:00 a.m., Friday, September 14, or Saturday, October 6, 2018, 9:30 a.m. to noon
Thornhill Education Center
- Section A: Saturday, July 14, 8:30 to 11:00 a.m., with Heather Jurinek
- Section B: Friday, September 14, 9:30 to noon, with Kelly Burns
- Section C: Saturday, October 6, 9:30 to noon, with Kelly Burn
Fees and Admission
Nonmembers: Fees include admission to the Arboretum.
ONLINE: Register now
BY PHONE: 630-719-2468 (or to be waitlisted, M-F, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
IN PERSON: Stop by Visitor Center during open hours.
Weather Cancellation Hotline
Classes run rain or shine unless there is a threat of server weather. If severe weather is forecast please call 630-719-7979 for updates on weather related cancellations.